A parapet is a low wall constructed above the roofline that usually spans around the perimeter of a building. A parapet is also constructed around the balconies. A parapet wall is a low wall, usually enclosing a roof, or a protective barrier at the edge of a terrace or on the side of a bridge. Traditionally, parapet moulds were made of wood (image above right). Today there is a cheaper and quicker way to prepare moulds for building design. It is using GALAXY Expanded Polystyrene. Whether for a villa, or mosque or mall their appearance can be greatly enhanced by parapet designs, particularly in the Middle East where the weather allows a greater variety of building roof shapes. EPS has many excellent benefits over alternative methods:
- As it is very lightweight and very easy to cut and shape, it can be installed quickly, with minimum manpower and without any heavy machinery.
- It is very strong and can withstand heavy loads or continuous impact.
- It is cheaper than wood or other materials and easier to dismantle.
- It is faster in production since it is cut with High tech CNC machines with CAD / CAM technology, giving very high accuracy and consistency.
- Is environmentally friendly: no CFC’s / no HCFC’s / ozone favorable / 100% recyclable.